SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#410442 - 10/29/15 09:25 PM New Mackie "Reach" powered speaker...
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Here's the link to the new speaker from Mackie called the "Reach!"

http://mackie.com/products/reach

Geared towards solo/duos with built in mixer that can be controlled via an iDevice. Also side speakers for side fill so no need for monitors.

Interseting?!? Discuss!!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#410455 - 10/30/15 06:14 AM Re: New Mackie "Reach" powered speaker... [Re: shueymusic]
Dnj Offline

BOSE Killer?......this only weighs in at 31lbs....

Nice design....wonder how it sounds? headphone

Edited by Dnj (10/30/15 06:16 AM)

#410457 - 10/30/15 06:21 AM Re: New Mackie "Reach" powered speaker... [Re: shueymusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
34 pounds according to the user manual. Good coverage at 150-degrees, but still not close to the 210-degree coverage of bose.

How about a price?

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#410458 - 10/30/15 06:27 AM Re: New Mackie "Reach" powered speaker... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
34 pounds according to the user manual. Good coverage at 150-degrees, but still not close to the 210-degree coverage of bose.

How about a price?

Gary cool

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Reach

the mixing/editing capabilities blows away the Bose system..you get so much more for the same price as the Bose..

Edited by Dnj (10/30/15 06:30 AM)

#410459 - 10/30/15 06:28 AM Re: New Mackie "Reach" powered speaker... [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Seems most manufacturers are headed toward line array systems.

It will be interesting to see how this one develops.

http://youtu.be/eAeEzxM7swg

Edited by guitpic1 (10/30/15 06:48 AM)

#410461 - 10/30/15 06:40 AM Re: New Mackie "Reach" powered speaker... [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

How about a price?

Gary cool

Same price, apparently, as a Compact.

Musiciansfriend has them shipping early December. Two possible advantages over the Bose Compact....4 inputs and Bluetooth control.

This could be an interesting PA

Edited by guitpic1 (10/30/15 06:47 AM)

#410465 - 10/30/15 06:59 AM Re: New Mackie "Reach" powered speaker... [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

#410481 - 10/30/15 11:41 AM Re: New Mackie "Reach" powered speaker... [Re: shueymusic]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
It's about time someone included reverb in a stand alone unit, and an app to control with, $999 MAP , I'm interested to see how many of these I can sell. hopefully the sound is there. As for the coverage, even though the Bose states 210 degree coverage, once you get outside of the 150 degrees the sound changes allot, so I think there are some liberties taken on the exact coverage with sound. I used an RTA with a few of these speakers, and most of the Personal Line arrays are pretty good up to 120 degrees but then fall off when it comes to frequency response. so be very careful off the Spec claims of manufactures.

Also a new player is coming at a few $$ less than Bose http://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/maui...8qve5o7ivfa3g61

#410482 - 10/30/15 11:47 AM Re: New Mackie "Reach" powered speaker... [Re: shueymusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, you keep posting these new systems, claiming they will blow Bose away. To date, none have - and that's a fact. Most have been nothing more than modifications of conventional sound systems, which is what this one seems to be as well. I will reserve my judgement until I actually hear, see and touch one in person.

One of the first thing noticed is that it sits upon the floor and the height is just over 30 inches, which is too short to reach audience members situated at the back end of a mid size venue with a crowded dance floor unless you are on a 4-foot high stage, which is often not the case. Bose systems with their 72-inch high towers easily reach the back of any venue, and with little or no perceptible loss in volume.

The number of inputs, for the most part, is a non-issue for the vast majority of entertainers I know. Nealy all of them use some sort of mixer, which has all the editing features anyone could ever want or use. Consequently, anything more than one input is gingerbread at best. I, for one, have not used a mixer in more than a decade and enjoy controlling all the effects directly from the keyboard, which is a huge advantage because those controls are right at my fingertips while performing. That includes the mic and global EQ of the keyboard.

Because of the wider than usual dispersion of the Bose systems, there is never a need for a separate monitoring system, even within the PA. There is no mention of feedback rejection with this new Mackie system, however, they tout the onboard monitor, thus indicating that you likely would have to place the system in front of you to prevent feedback. Now, I want to hear exactly what the audience hears, and the Bose systems, both the L1 and L1 Compact, all you to do this.

Wattage has always been touted with PA systems, this one having more than 700-watts output divided between it's individual speakers. As most of us are now aware, wattage while an important factor, is not nearly the driving force behind sound quality as it was two decades ago. I can vividly recall the days when I considered any amp under 1,000-watts RMS as insufficient for most larger venues. Today, those rules no longer apply. If I still had a 5-piece country band, I would definitely have the Bose F1 system. Having seen and heard this system in use a few months ago, I can unequivocally say that it can easily handle audiences of 1,500 or more, which was the audience size I witnessed first hand at the Maryland State Fair Grounds. Believe me, this was one of the most incredible sound systems I've seen in 5 decades of performing. Bose F1

Last but not least, have anyone other than me noticed that the PA industry seems to be trying it's best to emulate Bose L1 systems? There are lots of new vertical systems coming out, both for pro and home use, that have pretty much gone away from conventional sound systems and went to vertical array.

Believe it or not, vertical array sound systems are not at all new, and have been around since the early 1960s when Executone Corporation began installing them in churches and theaters. The reason behind them back then, and currently, on provide far better dispersion of sound, while providing the best overall sound quality from smaller speakers. During the 1960s, the speakers were 6-inch maximum diameter for theaters and churches with Executone. Bose is accomplishing the same thing with 1.5-inch speakers and new speaker technology. This all started with the Bose Wave Radio. Amazing how this technology has progressed in such a short time frame.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#410484 - 10/30/15 12:33 PM Re: New Mackie "Reach" powered speaker... [Re: shueymusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Looks like a great product. We'll see. Wonder how the bass does?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online